Re: Include spdmem(4) in GENERIC amd64 & i386 kernels?

On Nov 8, 2008, at 2:51 AM, Jochen Kunz wrote:

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 17:37:15 -0500
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

Ahh, we already had this flame war^W^Wdiscussion on port-sparc64. ;-)

With the way macppc does it every port needs its own attachment
glue through a MD i2c bus. Thus duplicating this attachment glue
code over and over again for every port.
This is simply not true.
But how else would you do it?

Did you look at the attachment? None of it is in any way macppc specific. All it does is to pass a name, an i2c_tag_t and a bus address. Nothing MD in there. ( the node member isn't in use anyway and should have been deleted long ago )

If we wanted to suport direct configuration of i2c devices on sparc64 like on macppc, we would need
to add a, say, si2c bus to sparc64. Just like ki2c on macppc.

Again, that's nonsense. You can recycle the exact same attachment on either one of them.

Thus resulting in a specialized, sparc64 MD si2c bus attachment.

I have no idea how you got to that conclusion.

have fun
Michael