Re: Proposal for new syscalls: getrusagex and waitx

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:35:24PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:30:37PM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
> > It's already used by ioctls for plists.  Basically the kernel
> > allocates VM and
> > puts the dictionary in it returning the location and size.  User code
> > is responsible
> > munmap it after its done with it.
>
> That is trully horrid!

hmm.. it doesn't seem too bad to me.  That sounds like a great way to have
the kernel allocate memory for a process, similar to how various library
functions allocate memory and have a function other than free to release it.
(e.g. fopen, openlog, etc...)

What's so horrid about it?

eric