Re: /rescue/init for alternative (Re: CVScommit:src/share/man/man8)

joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost wrote:

> It's a second issue. Consider a setup with alternative root. Right now
> you have to reboot to switch to that, a better idea might be to repeat
> the questions (root, swap, init). That's IMO better than just repeating
> the question of init.

Your idea might be _better_, but it doesn't mean
current behavior is worse than the previous.

It's quite another issue to be solved by someone (TM).

> It still leaves the question of access permissions
> for the console if boot -a is not specified.

I'm asking you what scenario the old behavior helped.
It falled into ddb prompt, or rebooted forever.
What's better thing than prompting for alternative init
even if you don't have console access?

In that case, the default kernel or init(8) in the default
root file system might be hosed and you can do nothing to
solve it without console access, even with the previous behavior.

If you are saying we should be more perfect, I'd say
it's a good idea but I have no idea how to realize it.
---
Izumi Tsutsui