Re: /rescue/init for alternative (Re: CVScommit:src/share/man/man8)

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:30:25PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost wrote:
>
> > Well, given that you have to do something very bad to your system to
> > normally get into that state, yes. Another question is if the behavior
> > of specifying the wrong root can be improved though. E.g. if you boot
> > with -a, don't panic if no init can be found, but unmount root and try
> > again? Is that possible?
>
> I'm afraid I might miss some your point, but
> isn't reboot command at the prompt enough to try again?
> How did the old behavior help such situation
> other than reboot after panic?

It's a second issue. Consider a setup with alternative root. Right now
you have to reboot to switch to that, a better idea might be to repeat
the questions (root, swap, init). That's IMO better than just repeating
the question of init. It still leaves the question of access permissions
for the console if boot -a is not specified.

Joerg