Re: LM78 driver

Ok, I guess I misunderstood.  I understood you thought that lm.c was
an existing NetBSD driver that wasn't used, not your own file that you
have as dev/ic/lm.c.

Unless you mean dev/ic/nslm7x.c?  That is pulled in by conf/files:
file    dev/ic/nslm7x.c                 lm                      needs-flag

No, it's I who am confused, at least WRT file names. :) So, I started with a clean source tree.

I examined dev/isa/files.isa and found the following lines that handle the LM78 attachment to the isa bus:

        # LM78 temp/fanspeed monitor
        attach  lm at isa with lm_isa
        file    dev/isa/lm_isa.c                lm_isa

So I added the following lines to dev/i2c/files.i2c after changing only the attachment from isa to iic, and filename:

        # LM78 temp/fanspeed monitor
        attach  lm at iic with lm_iic
        file    dev/i2c/lm_i2c.c                lm_iic

My config file is as before:

        include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC"
        lm0 at iic?

Yet config(1) still complains:

        ../../../../dev/i2c/files.i2c:53: attaching undefined device `lm'

It would seem that config(1) isn't pulling in the device definition from sys/conf/files in this case.

So I'm still confused as to why config(1) recognizes the lm device when attached to isa, but not when attached to iic. Maybe I've just been staring at this too long...

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |