Re: Suggestions for reporting remote control button presses to userland

Greg Troxel wrote:
  I have a 24-button IR remote control here that I want to use with
  NetBSD. My driver decodes the key presses, but I don't know how to
  deliver them to userland. wskbd seems a bit heavy, and even if there
  was an easier way I'm not sure how I would represent a button named
  eg. "DVD menu" or "Guide" with wskbd.

I think the hard part is coming up with a representation that can work
sensibly with many remote controls.  I don't know if that world has
standard codes or names.

You could have a character device that returns some sort of keycodes.
If you could fit the same extended keycodes (perhaps some sort of UTF-8
for keyboards ?) into wskbd, that would seem natural, especially if by
default you can mark this keyboard not to get merged into wsmux0.

Yeah, having them report as X keycodes would be nice. A quick hack would be to attach com(4) to the driver and make userland responsible for decoding the keycodes I suppose..

  I've hooked the volume buttons into pmf for volume control, but what
  about the remaining 22 buttons?

It would be nice to make the volume buttons also available by the same
interface the rest are.  Depending on what one is doing, the uniformity
would help.

Yeah, eventually I will go that route. Just testing for now :)

Cheers,
Jared