Re: Setting TERM in single user mode

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, David Laight wrote:

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 05:49:25PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:

        The device that tty reports and tset uses is /dev/constty, which
        is the 'correct' value for the console device.

/dev/constty was added (by myself) so that sysinst could write to the
console device while intercepting data written by the kernel (and daemons)
to /dev/console without intercepting its own output.
This is needed to stop kernel messages affecting the curses output.

There is precident for running the login session on a different named
device - it was /dev/constty, but I'm not sure of the reason.

At alternative might have been to not intercept output to a processes
controlling terminal.

In non single user mode (or maybe just not in the mode that init runs
sysinst) the getty gets run on /dev/console - I wasn't allowed to change
the relevant file (IIRC the change got reverted).

        From the CVS logs it looks like you reverted it the day after
        the change - do you recall who or what prompted that?

        Given that single user mode uses /dev/constty, and that it
        works like /dev/console except for avoid the captured console
        breakage, at the very least an 'off' entry should be added to
        all ports' /etc/ttys. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't
        be 'on' instead of /dev/console, but I may be missing some
        context.