Re: ataraid(4) and VOP_OPENing the same block device

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:26 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon
<tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 02:51:27PM -0700, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 05:09:52AM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>> >
>> > IIUC, the controller allows you to slice disks:  e.g., take two halves
>> > out of each, build a RAID1 with one set, and a RAID0 with the other.  In
>> > this case both disks belong to each array.
>>
>> Then the right thing to do is somehow export those slices. It makes sense
>> that different slices can be in different RAIDS, but any given slice
>> should be in only one.
>
> Yes.  What concerns me is that I'd thought Elad had added code to the
> security policy which would in fact make it impossible to use one slice
> twice like this -- I'm not sure why what Juan is doing now works.

I think you're referring to sysdisk(9):

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2006/12/27/0001.html

which never went in, and (probably) was able to enforce the policy
you're talking about.

-e.