Re: ataraid(4) and VOP_OPENing the same block device

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 07:56:07PM -0700, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 02:53:02PM +0200, Juan Romero Pardines wrote:
> > 2008/8/26 Quentin Garnier <cube%cubidou.net@localhost>:
> >
> > > I don't think there is any need of opening the devices multiple times.
> > > The ataraid(4) driver should open all the necessary devices for all its
> > > arrays, and then use them.  In your example, ataraid0 "owns" wd3 and
> > > wd4, so why would it need to have them opened multiple times?
> >
> > Perhaps I didn't explain this correctly before. In my example I got ataraid0
> > and (like you said) it owns the disks wd3 and wd4, but my problem is related
> > to the fact that ld0 owns the same VBLK vnode on the same devices than
> > ld1 wants to have access to... therefore once ld0 has taken (and locked) the
> > vnode via VOP_OPEN, subsequents openings to the vnode are failing with
> > EBUSY.
>
> But what exactly do you want to achieve? wtf is ld1 going to do with the
> disks that belong to ld0? How exactly is a disk supposed to be part of a
> RAID 0 _AND_ a RAID 1 at the same time?

IIUC, the controller allows you to slice disks:  e.g., take two halves
out of each, build a RAID1 with one set, and a RAID0 with the other.  In
this case both disks belong to each array.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost