Re: interrupts & pmf/legacy shutdown hooks (was Re: CVS commit:src/sys/arch)

dyoung%pobox.com@localhost said:
> following ad's finding that disabling interrupts causes panics

Sorry, "disabling interrupts causes panics" is a little too
little justification for such a change which has consequences
for a lot of complex drivers. Interrupts were disabled at that
point ~forever. And if something suddenly starts to cause panics
(I didn't succeed in finding a report in the mailing lists yet),
then certainly a particular driver is to blame.
And even if there was a feeling that enabling interrupts on
shutdown would be a step into the right direction, it would
have to be done for all ports, so that mi drivers can count
on a well-defined environment.

> Please, back out the change

I'd suggest to leave things as they are now until we get
an indication thst enabling interrupts actually fixes
anything, and that having the ports behave inconsistently
is the lesser evil.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt