Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/i386/stand

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:17:00PM -0700, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 07:56:50AM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
[..]

> > Such things should have been discussed on a PUBLIC mailing before changing
> > it.
>
> Uhm, if discussions are supposed to be on this list, why reference
> discussions that weren't?

Because it shouldn't happen that such a discussion takes place on a non
public list.

> The one thing I'd like us to be able to do is add custom/site-local
> extentions to a version string. If we could optionally label a build
> "wrstuden debug 080716" for instance, I think that would cover all the
> objections I've heard favoring date-based strings. Obviously official
> releases would basically use "" for said string.
>
> But I could have misunderstood the objections. :-)

To quote Simon Burge:

: "... when the sources get updated."?  Which sources?  The bootblocks
: depend on their own particular sys/arch/<foo>/stand directory, but also
: depend on libkern and libsa as well.  Sometimes you might want to know
: if you have a particular bugfix from lib{kern,sa} - dumping each port's
: bootblock's version number doesn't scale too well.
:
: Hence my suggestion of adding the kernel version as well.  That doesn't
: change each time a bug is fixed somewhere in sources used by the
: bootblocks, but changes regularly enough that you a reasonably good
: indication of what sources were used.

Where I'm not certain that this covers it all.

There should be also a NEW thread outlining what is going on about all
this changes and not keep that part non public.

Bernd