RE: Kernel size and memory consumption

On 26-Jun-2008 Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> If you have any tips on how to reduce the kernel size and run time memory
> consumption, I would be happy to hear about them.

Here are a few I've done for install kernels:

options         MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=0    # don't need for install
options         NFS_V2_ONLY     # Exclude NFS3 code to save space

options         PIPE_SOCKETPAIR         # smaller, but slower pipe(2)

(these two are useful if your bootloader has already gotten an address)
disable options        NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM
disable options        NFS_BOOT_DHCP

disable file-system    PTYFS           # /dev/pts/N support

As for install kernels themselves, it is a space savings to disable kernfs, and
ship dmesg, rather than use the /kern/msfbuf to access dmesg information.

Tim Rightnour <>
NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: