Re: [dm-devel] NetBSD libdevmapper port

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Brett Lymn wrote:

Hi - I am mentoring Adam in this project

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:51:48PM -0400, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

If you are rewriting it --- have you somehow thought about avoiding
suspend?

I assume you are talking about handling a suspend of a device
underlying the LVM.  At the moment, NetBSD does not have the facility
to suspend a device in this manner so I dont think we will have this
issue (yet).

It's good, so you can think twice and code once :)

A Linux LVM does something like: suspend old table, write to disk with
direct i/o, resume new table. I'd suggest that you invent some method how
to batch these operations into single syscall

I think this should be doable with the API that Adam is using - in
NetBSD there is a thing called proplib which is a method of passing a
very limited form of XML into the kernel - Adam is using proplib to
pass the lvm parameters into the kernel.

 --- the question --- how to do it portably on all
NetBSD architectures?),

Actually, most of the operations you have listed are, from memory,
machine independent code - there is very little of the kernel that
actually is architecture specific we work hard to keep it that way.

See function in LVM2/lib/mm/memlock.c - _allocate_memory

It attempts to prepare memory for locking, so that there will be no more page faults while some device is suspended. It could fail if:

* if you have a different heap algorithm that allocates temp_malloc_mem block in a separate chunk * if you have an architecture with separate stacks for stack data and for register windows (I don't know if such exists) - then alloca(_size_stack) will preallocate just one stack, not both * if a running process can take some additional faults specific to a given architecture that allocate memory (for example fault on FPU instruction allocating FPU context --- I don't know how precisely you have it implemented).

- these are very brittle requirements and if someone forgets about them, then LVM will be deadlocky. And these requirements span a lot of LVM-independent code and it's hard to enforce all libc/kernel engineers to think about LVM-specific peculiarities.

--- if you port lvm2 as it is, you'll have to audit (and maybe rewrite)
many parts of NetBSD kernel for not waiting for I/O. If you do it badly,
you'll get deadlocks.

The head of the bleeding edge NetBSD code (netbsd-current) is having a
lot of work done on it to make the kernel re-entrant and
multi-threaded.  This may be a bit of a bonus in terms of what you are
saying because there should be locks that need to be held to perform
the i/o - it may be a case of just making the acquiring of these locks
non-blocking (or it may not be an issue at all).  We shall need to
wait and see on that one.

Any non-atomic memory allocation can wait for I/O. So if you allocate some kernel memory for example in that tiny XML parser, this could trigger dirty page writeout, the writeout may be directed to the suspended device and you are locked up. (atomic allocations may fail anytime --- for example if too many packets come from network and exhaust the atomic reserve --- so they are not perfect solution too)

If you solve this problem somehow generally (for example batching suspend and ioctls into one call), I'd support bacporting that solution to Linux.

Mikulas

Thanks for the input.