azalia: can't record using microphone

G'day,

the microphone input of a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop doesn't appear
to be working. System is running NetBSD-4.99.64 GENERIC kernel. The
codec is detected as a Sigmatel STAC9200. The microphone socket is
fine when using it as audio line input device.

Recording audio using a microphone (yes I tried different
microphones) and the audiorecord application will create a file
that increases in size depending on duration, but only background
noise is heard on playing back the record using audioplay.

mixerctl -a reveals the following:

outputs.source=dac
outputs.spdif.source=dac
outputs.selector.mute=off
outputs.selector=119,119
outputs.master.mute=off
outputs.master=120,120
inputs.selector.source=mic1
outputs.headphones.boost=off
outputs.speaker.boost=off
outputs.mono.mute=off
outputs.mono=120
outputs.beep.mute=off
outputs.beep=85
playback.mode=analog
record.mode=analog

The only input variable is inputs.selector.source which is set to
mic1.  There are no input level controls, microphone boost select
etc. I found it hard to believe that the STAC9200 is still not
fully supported and suspect it to be somewhat a configuration
problem on my part.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

cheerio Berndt