Re: PCIVERBOSE and kern/38579

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 01:12:35AM +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:37:32PM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
[..]

> > I don't want to have to sit around all the time looking up numbers on a
> > chart
> > while trying to figure out what is wrong with this or that device
> > attachment.
> > I strongly object.  Pcictl is cute, assuming I can get to userland.
>
> Ok, I'll leave the option but remove it from the x86 configs.

As I said in my reply to your pr where you proposed to remove that code and
move it
into userland:

 Which will make the normal kernel output during boot time or the dmesg
 output not so easy to read if you only see numbers and not names in it.
 Especially for hardware which has no driver.
(Additional note: You still see the vendor for new hardware if his id is
in the database.)

What is the reason why you want to remove this option?
You can still comment this option out of your kernel config if you want
a smaller kernel.

Bernd