Re: GSoC, translators

Saturday 26 of April 2008 19:22:57 napisałeś(-łaś):
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Marek Dopiera wrote:
> > - vfs modifications to allow "mounting" on non-directories
> You've mentioned this several times, but I don't understand what it means.
> Can you illustrate a few examples / use cases?
Basicaly it means that not only directories can be mount points. In Hurd,
symbolic links are in fact translators. So are for example TCP/IP stack,
fifos, sockets. All of them are set on other files than directories. An
exotic idea came to my head right now: if for some reason you have a file
split into several smaller ones, it would be easy to write a translator which
once set on a file, would pretend all these files concatenated.

Marek Dopiera,