Re: per-cpu statistics (Re: CVS commit: src)

> On Apr 7, 2008, at 4:25 PM, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>
> > will it be something generic enough to replace evcnt?
>
> Right now I'm just getting the network protocol stats into percpu
> storage, collated when requested via sysctl.  I'll attack evcnt
> separately.  I don't want to use evcnt (just yet) to replace the
> various network protocol stats.  It's mostly a matter of usage -- how
> programs expect to be able to access this data currently.
>
> At the very least, the direction I'm going would allow us to replace
> the protocol stat implementation pretty painlessly if we decided to do
> so.
>
> -- thorpej

while converting existing sysctls is fine, we need to introduce a
kernel-userland interface for currently kmem-based statistics
(including evcnt) at some point.  i'd like to see something like
solaris kstat rather than sprinkling random nodes in the sysctl tree.

YAMAMOTO Takashi