Waking up kevent

Hi, I am using kqueues and am after some advice on the following.

I initialize an array of kevent structs using EV_SET and set kevent to wait for events.

I then initialise a new kevent struct for another directory and add it to the original array.

I then need to reload my array into the waiting kevent call.

I would like to avoid using a timer as I do not want my program looping round and round.

Is there a way to either: post a dummy message to the queue, or to cancel the waiting kevent call so that I can reload my array when I decide to?

Many thanks.