Re: Time to deprecate crash dump support in stats tools (or KVM-grovelers in general)?

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:57:35PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 01:04:27PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> >
> > >What you say makes sense -- but is there a better way to get certain
> > >data from crash dumps?  Or are you saying we should just live without
> > >it?
> >
> > Hm, I guess I forgot to complete my thought ... "Oh, yes, it's called
> > GDB." :-)  GDB scripts are wonderful things.
>
> I guess you'll provide gdb scripts to keep the functionalities available
> then ? Being able to run ps or vmstat on crash dumps helped me a lot several
> times to understand what did go wrong, and I'd really hate to loose this.

That was the idea. That's why all non-debug kernels already have basic
type informations available. Debug kernels are a bit different as they
get stripped and I have no idea how to make the stripping selective.

Joerg