Re: System goes into complete hang (Was: Is amd64 ready for the desktop?)

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:48:42AM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 00:27:28 -0400
> "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
> > OK so I have now switched back to i386 and I still have the same
> > problem.  It's like the interrupt system just turns off.  I am trying
> > to figure out how to debug this without a kcore or any way to drop into
> > the debugger.
>
> Help!  It happened again this morning.  It's going to trash my file
> system if this keeps up.
>
> Perhaps I have a hardware problem.  Has anyone seen this behaviour due
> to faulty hardware?

While I've totally not been paying attention to your problem or anything,
but if you think the interrupt system is turned off (as opposed to something
at a really high spl spinning), you might try twiddling something like DTR
on a serial port... Com ports are usually pretty high priority so you might
get lucky and end up with some traction on the problem...

set a counter in the softc and toggle DTR every so many interrupts so you
can watch the line with a meter (assuming you don't have a scope).. If you
don't have a meter, an LED and a resistor should suffice.

Apologies if this is a useless response... Like I say, I haven't been
paying attention...