Re: Unifying /dev/{mem,kmem,zero,null} implementations

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 04:29:55PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> Hi all,
> http://www.netbsd.org/~joerg/common-mem.diff
> unifies the implementation of /dev/{mem,kmem,zero,null} in MI code and
> makes it MPsafe. This is useful as writing to /dev/null is not that
> unknown :-)
>
> This needs quite a bit attention from portmasters and testing:
> - the address returned by mmap of /dev/mem is not consistent on all
> ports, I have no idea if it works on those where atop() doesn't exist.
> - on i386, the special /dev/io semantic for COMPAT_10 and COMPAT_FREEBSD
> is lost at the moment -- do we want to keep that? It would mean another
> platform hook.

If /dev/io is still used on FreeBSD this way, I think we want to keep it.
I did use a FreeBSD binary-only tool which used /dev/io to drive the
parallel port (which was connected to some chip programmer - I don't
remember which one exactly).

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost