Re: some pmf improvements

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 07:44:18AM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Jul 2, 10:08am, David Young wrote:
> }
> } Also, I put a process to sleep if it calls pmf_device_resume(, PMF_F_SELF)
> } on a device that was suspended by the system/operator.  In this way,
> } I stop programs such as wpa_supplicant(8) from interfering with device
> } suspension by modifying IFF_UP.
>
>      Why not just return an error instead of putting the process to
> sleep?

Because that raises more questions than it answers? :-)

        1) Shall we actually set IFF_UP, or cancel the operation?
        2) Which error code?  ENXIO?  EINPROGRESS?
        3) How will applications handle the error code?  Spin?  Quit?
        4) Will we audit and modify 3rd-party apps in base to handle the
           error code?  What about pkgsrc apps?

I don't think that most applications are prepared for an ioctl that
ordinarily powers-up a device to do any different, and we may as well
put those applications to sleep.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24