Re: use of an intermediate device to handle USB interfaces

mouse%Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA@localhost said:
> I recently did an install on a fairly vanilla server system.  I
> counted nine PCI busses in the autoconf output - and at least one
> bridge for each one.  The machine had only one physical PCI bus
> (connectors &c) as far as I could tell.

My laptop has six of them and not a single PCI slot...
This is PCIexpress where everything is point-to-point.
(This could be made use of for power management, but
the gain of that would arguably be a small increment
compared to eg savings in the CPU.)

> I'm not clear on the
> difference between a device and an interface

A device is basically what plugs into a USB slot,
so eg link and power management is done at this level.
A device logically consists of (one or more) interfaces.
Interfaces often belong to some pre-defined interface
class which can be handled by some class driver.
Thus drivers for common stuff (storage, keyboards, audio...)
attach to some interface.

best regards

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt