Re: system limits [Re: Workaround for Firefox crashiness]

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:05:19 +0000
Andrew Doran <> wrote:

> Nice catch. We inherited the default per-user limit (64) from 386BSD. I
> think we should at least double it.
> FWIW, I cranked maxusers for x86 so the default system-wide file and process
> limit should be ~doubled now.
> Also, for about a month or two now root's max process limit has been
> enforced. I'm not sure why the change was made but with a default limit of
> 150 many systems will break instantly if upgraded to 5.0. This should be
> upped to a more reasonable default, say 500?
> Thoughts?

I agree (don't have any specific values), but I'd like to see the limits
bumped on at least the most used archs.

Juan Romero Pardines             The NetBSD Project         NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish     Make your own NetBSD Live CD/DVD!