Re: Open Sound System goes BSD license

Dear Blair, dear folks,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:32:47PM -0500, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> Porting the whole thing shouldn't be too difficult, as there is a
> portability layer. IIRC, there are calls to the dreaded vtophys() in
> there somewhere, so that probably would have to be addressed.  I major
> showstopper for me, though, is that I have no idea how to teach it to
> work with our new in-kernel linker.

do you really want to load this foreign code as kernel modules? I think it
would be better/easier to learn from the drivers and write the wrappers
manually.

> Another possibility that I thought about is taking the virtual mixer
> code and running it in userspace under pud(4).  In theory, we could
> also dramatically improve our OSS compatability.  Others who know more
> than I do will be able to better comment on this--I have my hands full
> trying to comprehend the insanity of DRM right now. :(

Isn't pad a kernel based audio mixer that mixes audiostreams to the output
channel? Why a userland mixer? Its bound to have serous timing and
performance problems and audio is very sensitive for that.

With regards,
Reinoud