Re: Notes on reent install of 10.0_RC4 on amd64 HP T730 thin client

On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 10:29:14 AM PST, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 05:07:57PM +0000, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>> [...] Creating a user fails, there is no /home.  Same for setting a root password,
>> or saving network config to the (target) /etc.  Am I the only one seeing this??

> How did you get there? During installation, after set extracation the
> root password is prompted and then you get to the config menu.

I did nothing except sysinst menu interactions.
After extracting the sets, /targetroot was unmounted and the dk wedges were detached.
That's when trying to install pkgin failed. Yes, re-extracting a set (manually set to a single set)
will remount /targetroot. I think reinstall-a-set is how I got pkgin installed. But after instaling pkgin,
I again ended up in a state where going to the "config" menu, I couldn't set a root pasword or create a user,
because /targetroot was unmounted. From memory, wd0 and all the dk? wedges were detached. Is that expected?
It's not what I recall from installing 8.2, 9.2, and 9.3 over the past couple of weeks (FDDI related).

I can try all this again in about 12 hours, and take more careful notes.
(I have a general understanding of how sysinst works; I did a __lot__ of work on it, about 25 years ago.)