Re: sysinst split project - The Configuration File

On Dec 15, 2009, at 3:40 PM, George Michaelson wrote:

> I use OSX as my day-job computer, with NetBSD at home on my raidframe
> filestore, and on virtualboxen.
>
> I'd be quite happy with an XML based configuration file methodology.
>
> After all, OSX uses .plist files. -So, I'm already 'there' for some value of
> there.

Right, and NetBSD's proplib is compatible with Apple XML plist files.  And a
bonus for the XML haters out there... it's not even a full-blown XML reader ...
proplib is hard-coded for XML plists, so no need to pull in an XML library or
even the DTD.

> Complexity of editing? phui. Please. Don't try my patience. vi/emacs/ed and
> grep and sed and now shell level XML tools to do grep? I'm happy.
>
> I'll trade size for consistency any time. the files are huge? they're still
> smaller than boot-time VESA logo .GIF images!
>
> To the lua fans. Look, I don't disbelieve you that this can work, or other OS
> do this. But, I'm struggling to see this fitting naturally into a BSD
> community framework. OpenBSD and FreeBSD and Dragonfly are not just
> 'interesting' -there is active codeshare. I worry that this step is a step
> which winds up reducing mindshare, and codeshare, irreversably.
>
> So, as a (l)user not a developer, please, leave lua on the pkgsrc side, for
> now. Do XML because its a small, natural step, and it looks to me that in the
> BSD mindspace, its already 'there' -in OSX

To be fair ... OS X does not have any BSD-level APIs for manipulating plists
(although there are command line tools that consume/produce them)... the
lowest-level API available for those is CF.

> -George

-- thorpej