Re: Grokking miniroot.kmod etc.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Andrew Doran wrote:
OK... I tried to build the ISO in there, but didn't really succeed.
What target to I pass to make in .../distrib/i386/cdroms/installcd to
get an ISO that uses boot.cfg and the module etc.? "prepare" and
"iso_image" give me an ISO that uses an old-school embedded ramdisk.

I'm not sure, you'll have to dig around - or maybe someone else can answer
it. I know that you can build the ISO images using build.sh. There is a
target.

Digging more, it seems "iso_image" in distrib/i386/cdroms/installcd is the best thing. BUT it takes a kernel from the "instkernel" dir, which has an embedded ramdisk. The resulting ISO first boots the kernel, then loads the /miniroot.kmod (good!), but apparently it still runs the embedded ramdisk.

Of course this situation shouldn't arise in the first place, but my gut feeling is that a miniroot.kmod should override an embedded ramdisk.

 - Hubert