Re: Grokking miniroot.kmod etc.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:50:57AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> >http://nxr.homeunix.org/source/xref/distrib/i386/cdroms/installcd/
> >boot.cfg.in
> >
> >The 'load' commands can be given at any time. They are processed after
> >the kernel has been loaded, but before the kernel has been started.
>
> OK... I tried to build the ISO in there, but didn't really succeed.
> What target to I pass to make in .../distrib/i386/cdroms/installcd to
> get an ISO that uses boot.cfg and the module etc.? "prepare" and
> "iso_image" give me an ISO that uses an old-school embedded ramdisk.

I'm not sure, you'll have to dig around - or maybe someone else can answer
it. I know that you can build the ISO images using build.sh. There is a
target.

> >>   What is the /ramdisk.kmod mentioned in boot.cfg.4, is it the
> >>   ramdiskbin.fs? Where exactly is this put?
> >
> >It should say miniroot.kmod, someone made a mistake.
>
> Please check... I'm not sure what the exact point of mentioning this
> is, as it's not mentioned in the text at all.

I have changed it to say miniroot.kmod.

> Maybe the whole process should be described somewhere?

It's not of general interest to users or developers so I don't have plans to
do that. A page on the www developer docs could be useful.

Cheers,
Andrew