Subject: RE: Sys Install Program
To: Prasad V Nuli <>
From: Tim Rightnour <>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/01/2000 12:01:28
On 01-Aug-00 Prasad V Nuli wrote:
> What is the special swicth to use to create a ecoff type of executable. I
> want to make sysinst program of type ecoff as that is format ARC BIOS on
> Mips Recoginzes.
> Is there any way I can include a flag into the make file to create the ecoff
> type.

I'm not sure I understand this question..  perhaps there is a misunderstanding
about how sysinst works.

Sysinst is a binary, like any other binary for a given architecture.  It's
functionally no different from /bin/cp.  The way it works however, is that
during the build of the install image (look at src/distrib/) a kernel with a
ramdisk is built, and the image of a small filesystem containing sysinst and
other binaries is actually written into the kernel.

Thus..  a sysinst floppy works like so:

bootloader->kernel->mount md0 image as root->execute sysinst.

The appropriate magic to make that happen is in the distrib makefiles for
building the floppy sets. (look at crunchgen to see how some of it is done)

Tim Rightnour <>
NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS
NetBSD Mailing lists on the web: