Subject: Re: sysinst config file
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/28/1999 23:11:10
On 28-Nov-99 Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> like CDK (curses development kit) it has a log-window widget with scrollback
>> and everything.. very slick.
>
> Is this part of curses or ncurses ?
> We have various problems with ncurses, including space on the boot media.

It currently works with ncurses only.. but supposedly the new curses that
others are integrating will be able to deal with it.  That would be a good
thing.  ;)  CDK is an external widget set.. right now it's in pkgsrc.

> I'm not sure it's worth it.
> I think we should go wth a less generic solution, and ship a file (or several
> files) for common cases (e.g. root on wd0).

Thats probably true..  but we could supply some sort of basic default like you
suggest.. Ie, you tell it "my boot disk is wd0, gimmie the default" and it picks
the right generic setup.

>> Postinst would install, put postinst in /etc/rc, and reboot.  Machine boots
>> in
>> stage two, postinst configures rc.conf, and starts installing packages.  It
>> finishes, removes itself from rc, and reboots.
>
> This mean that we would have some duplicate functionality (partition,
> installation of the base system, network config) in sysinst and postinst.
> Or do you mean sysinst should be able to parse the file as well ?

I actually mean this:

sysinst:
Asks all the questions.  Including which pkgs to install, how to configure
rc.conf, the IP, disks, etc.  outputs an "installtab" or whatever file.

postinst.install:
It's postinst.. but compiled with some sort of -DINSTALL_MEDIA that cuts out
the uneeded code.  This would perform the physical install, like sysinst does
now.  This program would read the "installtab" and execute it.

postinst:
the complete version.. capable of installing pkgs, etc.  Again, reads the
installtab.

> We would still have 2 programs which are able to do the same thing ...
> Maybe we need more than 2 ?

My idea was to #ifdef the stuff that would run after the initial install was
complete.  So two versions would be built from the same code..  But yes, it
would in essence be 3 programs.

Like I said.. it would be perfectly reasonable to do this to sysinst.. and
break it in half later. It might be smarter..  as you don't want to take on to
large a reconstruction all at once.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>