Re: Interest in Broadcom crypto cards?

Todd Vierling wrote:
On 2/20/07, Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen%netphreax.net@localhost> wrote:
I'm left wondering what use PCI64/66 is there then? Sure, there are SoCs
with PCI64/66 buses (Intel/Marvell?), but I haven't seen any solution
where they offer that as PCI slot, save a couple of development boards.
Is that perhaps what you're referring to?
For a card with a bus interface of that type, I'd hope that the card
is typical PCI64 in that it will work properly in 3.3V PCI32 slots.

Or better yet, if it's universal, 5V as well.

That aside, yes, I would expect that some embedded systems will start
to grow 64-bit PCI over the next few years, but it seems a bit further
off before we see Intel or AMD pushing the power consumption of their
high-end CPUs really far down.  (Yeah, batteries in the newer dual
core laptops are suffering, but "who cares" in their eyes?  ;)

I expect them to switch to PCIe, as that has the added bonus of less wiring to cater for on your PCBs. The newer Intel IOPs have PCIe links besides a PCI-X bus as well, iirc.

Cheers,