Re: Interest in Broadcom crypto cards?

Todd Vierling wrote:
There are many such embedded/small-CPU devices (not just for VPN, mind
you) that need low power consumption, which is certainly not an
amd64-type-CPU strong suit.  A CPU of the power you mention is a *very
very bad* fit here; typically these machines are 486 or Pentium-II
generation at best.  It's like comparing pears vs. tangerines, or
something like that.

I'm left wondering what use PCI64/66 is there then? Sure, there are SoCs with PCI64/66 buses (Intel/Marvell?), but I haven't seen any solution where they offer that as PCI slot, save a couple of development boards. Is that perhaps what you're referring to?

Now, show me a complete amd64-based machine in the ballpark of the
speed you mention, using less than 2A of current @ 5VDC, and we'll
talk.  8-)

The X2 3800+ EE (35W, dualcore) chip might come close if running at its lowest powernow/cnq speed/voltage, though that's just the CPU then ofcourse.

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen%netphreax.net@localhost