Re: Tests of mdsetimage -s

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:
I took it for granted init will build all the entries automatically as I seen
it happen on the boot floppy.
I read the /.profile of it and there is nothing there mentioned about creating
the devices.
The dev/ dir of /usr/obj/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-big/work has only MAKEDEV in it too.

The calling of that MAKEDEV script (with mounting /dev as mfs before, etc.) is done by init(8) itself. See src/init/init.c. It runs "MAKEDEV init".

Any idea how the floppy ramdisk can generate all the dev files on the fly ?

Put (only)  a MAKEDEV into dev/, and NetBSD's init(8) will DTRT.

I've seen other hacks in the past, like creating a dev/ directory including entries on your build box, then create a .tar.gz file, put that on the disk and extract it early. But I think letting init(8) do the work is pretty ok (IIRC g4u uses that too, after trying out several other approaches at first :).

Just make sure everything needed by MAKEDEV is there (mknod, chown, chmod, chgrp, ...).

 - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)