Re: Tests of mdsetimage -s

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:04:32 +0200 (CEST)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost> wrote:

> As far as I understand, this is to reserve a lot of space first
> (MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE), and then later tell the kernel how much space
> really to allocate. Try embedding your 11MB filesystem in the 51MB kernel.

OK, now I set MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=15000 which gives 15000*512/1024 = 7500 k
The image is 5112 k

#mdsetimage -v -s netbsd custom.img
got symbols from netbsd
mapped netbsd
copying image custom.img into netbsd
done copying image
setting md_root_size to 5226496
exiting

Running without -s gives:
# mdsetimage -v netbsd custom.img
got symbols from netbsd
mapped netbsd
copying image custom.img into netbsd
done copying image
exiting

Seems like -s sets the reserved space to the size of the image.

I am not sure how big the mounted memory fs is since I have problems with
kernel refusing to execute /sbin/init
It stops right before that.
So I made a simple printf C code and replaced init with it
# sbin/init
Tell YazzY you started!

exec /sbin/init: error 8
init: trying /sbin/oinit
exec /sbin/oinit: error 2
nit: trying /sbin/init.bak
exec /sbin/init.bak: error 2
init: not found
panic: no init
syncing disks... done
rebooting...

Any idea why init cannot be not started ?

Regards,
M. Jessa
http://www.yazzy.org