Re: Embedded development platform

Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Brian Rose wrote:
>
>>3) Fetch the sources from the website (src.tgz, gnu.tgz, etc) and install to /usr/src
>

> Um, where did you get that from? Seems some documentation needs updating,
> this seems horribly outdated. You can get -current sources via CVS with
> the following commands:
>
>     env CVS_RSH=ssh CVSROOT=anoncvs%anoncvs.netbsd.org@localhost:/cvsroot cvs
co src

I was trying to keep everything in the release that I was working on. I did not want to be tripped up with broken builds and such. But I guess the system sources ought to be stable.

>>6) Build the toolchain - './build.sh tools'
>>7) Build the tools for the Coldfire (M68K) - './build.sh -m m68k tools'
>

> This seems redundant - the first "build.sh tools" will give you a native
> compiler. Dunno if you want that. :)

My thinking was that I would need the naitive compiler to build the cross compiler.

> I wish you a LOT of luck for the patches you mention to work with NetBSD's
> sources. Maybe drop a note here when it does. :)

Will do. I noticed that the stock gcc that comes with NetBSD 1.6.1 is 2.95.3. After doing a little googling on using gcc for coldfire development, I ran across some patches that fixed some coldfire specific bugs for 2.95.3. I do not know if they have been fixed in the newer gcc.

I had downloaded and compiled gcc from source, but I wanted to try using the NetBSD sources and try to do things in a more 'NetBSD way'.

>>Once this is done, I would like to test out my setup by building a small
>>application that blinks a few lights on the development board. For now I
>>will download using the built in firmware and a terminal program to send
>>the S19 file via RS232. I will need a makefile that will build the
>>assembly code file into a S19 file. The assembly file currently works
>>using Windriver's Diab compiler and assembler.
>>
>>This is where I need some help. Does anyone have a short makefile that
>>they can share with me to help me along?
>

> Um, Makefile that does what exactly? There's a big bunch included in
> NetBSD's source, and in some places even assembly language files (*.S) are
> compiled into object files (*.o). The NetBSD Makefiles use a framework of
> Makefile-fragments (share/mk/bsd.*) which make building things quite easy,
> you just say what source files you have, and the rest happens
> automagically. See e.g. src/libexec/ld.elf_so for an example.

I'm not looking for anything complicated. I have some assembly code that initializes the processor and then starts blinking some LEDs that are on the development board. Currently I build using Windriver's tools to build my application. The target has some boot rom that will start up and present a prompt and simple interface on one of the serial ports. I then download the S19 file via a serial console to the target and execute it.

What I am looking for is a simple makefile that assembles this file and then translates this .o file into a S19 record (used by the target boot rom to load code via the serial console). I figured if someone had a makefile, I could pick it apart and research the command that they are using.

> Tough luck if you have to change anything there though. ;) It might be
> easier to use the programs in $TOOLDIR directly though.
>
> And while at it, maybe this article is of interest for you:
> "Cross-Development with NetBSD -- Using NetBSD's new toolchain to develop
> for an embedded device" (http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/xdev.html)

Cool, I shall check it out.