Re: i386-Can't boot NetBSD with large MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 07:03:14PM -0400, Pilipovic  Josip wrote:
> I have built kernel with following options
> options         MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
> options         MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT
> options         MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=1
> # 4M memory disk, in blocks
> options         MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=16384      # 8M memory disk, in blocks
> options         MEMORY_RBFLAGS=0
>
> The boot process stops after some address display and PC reboots. If I change
> options     MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=8192 4M
> ram disk kernel boots OK. Secondary boot is filing on pread() system call.
> This problem don't exist on PPC. Is there any work aroud  this problem for
> i385. Any hint!!!

Note: since you're still in the booter, pread() isn't a system call. At
least not in the same sense as after boot.

My first guess is that something about how the kernel gets loaded means
you try to write memory that's not there for boot when you get things too
big.

The reason you don't see this on PPC is that things at this stage are very
machine-dependant. Note that in the past certain MacPPC systems would have
an issue with too-big a kernel. Right now MacPPC has "too big" at 13 MB
total.