Re: The smallest multi-user system

Speaking of which, I'm somewhat of a NetBSD newbie, but
firstly: is there a better way to "release" smaller distributions. For my embedded
box, I only have 30MB of Compact flash, so can't sysinst anything
without modification. The distrib/set is too course for embedded. I
notice the lists have package names in them but I can't tell if these
can be used or not. As a quick hack I added:
if [ -f dist/${setname}_obsolete ]; then
>               cp dist/${setname}_obsolete $SDIR/olist.$setname
> > # we want file only in ilist > comm -23 $SDIR/ilist.$setname $SDIR/olist.$setname >$SDIR/flist.$setname
>       else
>               mv $SDIR/ilist.$setname  $SDIR/flist.$setname
>       fi
to distrib/sets/maketars and extended the obsolete lists for my platform to exclude stuff I don't want in the sets (but nfs mount back to the distribution for debug)
Secondly, MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH is insufficient for the setups
such as "evbarm" and "evbppc". evbarm can use "machine_cpu" as a 'dimension'
since its one architecture with two different cpus but evbpcc is many architectures
with the same cpu. perhaps a MACHINE_BOARD or being able to specify
say evbpcc.walnut as MACHINE or tie in "conf" more formally.

lists%brianrose.net@localhost wrote:

I am experimenting with creating tiny systems and I have created a system which boots the kernel and starts in single user mode. This system has /dev populated, along with /sbin/init and /bin/sh.

I would like to take the next step and produce a minimal NetBSD system with a login prompt. I did some searching and found a post that was trying to accomplish this very task. However, when I tried it it did not work.

I followed this advice from the following email
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/1999/10/30/0004.html

 Hmm... I think you could get by with (see the man pages for each):
1) a kernel
2) /sbin/init
3) /etc/ttys
4) /usr/libexec/getty
5) /usr/bin/login
6) /etc/master.passwd, /etc/pwd.db, /etc/spwd.db, /etc/passwd
7) /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb && /usr/bin/passwd (only to change passwords)
8) whatever you want to happen when they login :)

When the system boots it still goes straight to the prompt with no login. Also, when calling passwd from the prompt, I get the following error message...

passwd: The file is still busy, try again later.

I'm currently guessing that I need some of the /etc/rc structure to do this. But this is just a guess. I would appreciate any light that you have to offer.

--
Brian Rose