re: How do I supress/shrink VM Page Cache for large files?

Thus spake matthew green ("mg> ") sometime Today...

mg> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:43:46 +1000
mg> From: matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost>
mg> To: Davef1624%aol.com@localhost
mg> Cc: tech-kern%netbsd.org@localhost, tech-embed%netbsd.org@localhost
mg> Subject: re: How do I supress/shrink VM Page Cache for large files?
mg>
mg>
mg>
mg> you might want to check out madvise(2)'s MADV_SEQUENTIAL and
mg> MADV_DONTNEED, as well as the vm.file{min,max} sysctl's.

I know it's something of a hack, but in certain circles, the sticky bit
can be set on a non-executable file to make it, paradoxically enough,
NON-sticky (i.e. no pages from the file are cached at all).  This is
historically used for, i.e. swap across NFS.  I don't see why it wouldn't
work for this case as well, unless it only applies to files being read
and not files being written.

Just a thought.  Sorry if it's misplaced.

                                --*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: My Computer Works!