Re: How do I supress/shrink VM Page Cache for large files?

der Mouse is right except for certain ocasions/enviroments where you
don't know when you'll need free memory pages. For example I can
point network appliances/dedicated devices. Assuming routing/
firewalling/accounting is the high-level priority job for this device you
should not let low-priority job (as logging) to interfere the productivity
of high-priority ones. Say, you have this logging software using all the
pages in the VM system and in a certain moment you have to process
some traffic in a "no free memory" enviroment. Starting VM/cache
syncroniztaion may degrade network performance, firewall processing,
etc.
So, my point is "It is a good idea to keep pages in memory when someone
will use them, except for the situations like the one described above"

    Ivo Vachkov
    Network Administrator
    Unilans Networking