tech-cluster archive

Re: cluster install (was Re: Welcome to tech-cluster)

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:07:46AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> If you do structured wiring "right", you can extract the MAC addresses
> automatically via SNMPing the switches you attach them to. Just ask
> the switch to tell you which MAC addresses are on which lines going
> out. Assuming you had the port-to-shelf mapping fixed, you know which
> box is which automatically.

You can also get the switch to send you a trap when a new mac
address appears, when link changes on a port, etc.  All useful
info.

> You can do a low-labor solution like
> having the machines beep in sequence to confirm that they're in the
> right places post install.

Heh. I know at least one place that configured racks full of 1 and
2 RU machines all with CD-ROM drives - specifically so that sysadmins
could say "It's the machine with the ejected CD" to the onsite
hands.

--
Dan.