Re: Xen root filesystem on disk with gpt partitions

> On Dec 13, 2022, at 1:24 PM, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> 	hello.  Here is a sample boot.cfg file which boots NetBSD by partition name, rather than
> by disk number.
>
> menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot NAME=root:netbsd
> menu=Boot single user:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot NAME=root:netbsd -s
> menu=Boot serial console:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;consdev com0;boot NAME=root:netbsd
> menu=Boot single user (serial console):rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;consdev com0;boot NAME=root:netbsd -s
> menu=Drop to boot prompt:prompt
> default=1
> timeout=5
> clear=1

Thanks for this.

For Xen booting, a combination of load and multiboot is required.  For example, the following line in /boot.cfg works:

menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd.gz root=dk1 console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M

How can I replace the “root=dk1” part to refer to the root partition by gpt name?

I have tried replacing the “dk1” part with the name of the partition as well as “NAME=name”, but neither works.  I have tried to use the “root” command prior to “load”, but that does not work either.

Is it possible to do this when booting Xen?

Cheers,
Brook