Re: How to enable PC-Console on boot

Hi Pierre-Philipp,

Am 02.02.2021 um 17:44 schrieb Pierre-Philipp Braun:

So I tried:

menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M console=vga dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin

as well as

menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz consdev=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M console=vga dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin

no, consdev is only to be used inteactively at the prompt.

with no notable change. So I still get the Xen boot message displayed or about one second, and then the screen gets cleared and remains empty.

you mean the xen boot message that says that it's booting netbsd, correct?  Your issue is only about netbsd kernel not showing up, while you do see (XEN) booting?  Or you don't see anything booting including XEN itself?

Not quite - I actually see a quite detailed message for a short moment (similar to [1] - the photo is not from my system though - I'll try to catch it with my camera after work).

Since I have the affected system twice (a small intel NUC5) I did a BIOS/MBR install of NetBSD once last night on the second system and did exactly the same steps to install Xen. Here I actually get a usable console with the following Boot.cfg entry:

```
menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin console=vga
```

Interestingly, the system boots correctly here even without explicitly specifying the root parameter. I seem to remember that the automatic detection of the root FS is more reliable with MBR than with GPT in this particular case.

Kind regards
Matthias

[1] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/31647414/61176298-fa5f8500-a5ad-11e9-90fb-94c93984d405.png

--
Petermann IT / M. Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost> | www.petermann-it.de
Wildparkring 13, 01458 Ottendorf-Okrilla | Tel.: +49 (0)35205 597 991