Re: How to enable PC-Console on boot

Am 02.02.2021 um 17:10 schrieb Pierre-Philipp Braun:
In general I am a bit confused by the boot.cfg, the different separators etc. are not yet clear to me. Is there a formal description for the format somewhere? In particular, it seems that only the first parameter between the kernel name and the ; before multiboot is accepted - otherwise it complains about an invalid parameter.

What about trying `console=pc` as first and even single argument to netbsd?  Right, it's `load ... console=` not `consdev`, but with the same available arguments.  The latter is rather used to switch console interactively at the boot prompt.  I've seen that before, it's magic.

This is similiar to what I tried before, but it obviously does not boot the system (at least I can't reach it via SSH). Since I don't see anything on the console, I can only speculate. My intermediate conclusion is that apparently specifying root=NAME=root and console=pc at the same time invokes some kind of conflict. Hence the question for a formal description of boot.cfg, which would be helpful for this probably quite special case. In all examples I found with multiboot only one or no parameter is attached behind the NetBSD kernel.

It does not really matter that the system does not boot so far.  Our focus here is to get your console to show up!  Just get rid of the root= argument to start with or eventually try to get to the prompt somehow, and see if `consdev` works?

So I tried:

menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M console=vga dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin

as well as

menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz consdev=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M console=vga dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin

with no notable change. So I still get the Xen boot message displayed or about one second, and then the screen gets cleared and remains empty.

Kind regards
Matthias