Re: Xen on Dedibox

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017, at 15:38, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Wed, 01 Mar 2017 14:02:10 +0000
>     From:        Gerard Lally <gerard.lally%gmail.com@localhost>
>
>   | I created two small boot partitions, along with the raid array, but I
>   | don't mount them from fstab.
>
> Same here...   (I use GPT partitioning in the raid as well as on the
> drives, and then some of those partitions become the disc images for
> DomU's, and in those there is even more GPT partitioning...)
>
>   | So the kernels in /boot are not the booting
>
> You mean in / probably. /boot is a program on NetBSD
>
>   | kernels at all; what I should have done was mount both boot
>   partitions
>   | (at /boot0 and /boot1, for example) and then copy dom0.gz and xen.gz
>   | these mounted partitions.
>
> Yes, you need to do that for that setup.   And boot.cfg as well.
>
> One issue I had (which I believe is now fixed, but I haven't done a new
> setup in a long time - but I don't know if it is fixed in the system
> you're
> using or not) is that there was a bug in the gpt biosboot setup - it
> worked
> OK if you converted a bootable MBR based drive to GPT, but didn't work if
> you were starting from a clean drive.
>
> If you continue to have problems, you might want to try starting an
> install
> using MBR partitioning (it doesn't matter if the layout is rational or
> not)
> and let it go as far as installing the MBR and making it bootable - then
> stop it (or let it finish and start again) convert the drive to GPT
> format,
> and do everything else as instructed.

Thank you for your ideas Robert. For reasons known only to Google, your
replies were dropped in the Gmail spam folder, and today was one of
those rare days I checked it.

I won't know until I get my new server up and running but I think I
discovered the mistake I made, so fingers crossed for the new setup.