Re: Does "amd64" refer to the port or the actual hardware?

Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau%citrix.com@localhost> writes:

> Let me clarify this a bit, the Xen kernel itself has dropped support for
> running on non amd64 hardware (ie: it requires something that supports the
> X86-64 architecture). This doesn't mean that it also requires an amd64 Dom0.
> You can still use an i386 Dom0 with an amd64 hypervisor, just as you can run
> i386 PV guests on an amd64 hypervisor.
>
> So the real requirement of Xen versions > 4.2 is from a hardware point of view,
> not from a Dom0 one.

Thanks for the clarification.  I have fixed up the HOWTO.

(I did advise that while an amd64 Xen kernel and a NetBSD/i386(PAE) dom0
should in theory work, we don't have recent confirmation, and that once
you have hardware than can run amd64, there's probably no reason to do
that.)