Re: Does "amd64" refer to the port or the actual hardware?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:29:31AM -0500, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> Just looking for clarification.  The HowTo says "Xen 4.6 requires an amd64
> dom0"  This means the amd64 port, right?  If I am running an amd64 kernel on
> an Intel Xeon I can still use it.
>
> If so, can I modify that page to say "Xen 4.[56] requires an amd64 kernel
> dom0"?

Let me clarify this a bit, the Xen kernel itself has dropped support for
running on non amd64 hardware (ie: it requires something that supports the
X86-64 architecture). This doesn't mean that it also requires an amd64 Dom0.
You can still use an i386 Dom0 with an amd64 hypervisor, just as you can run
i386 PV guests on an amd64 hypervisor.

So the real requirement of Xen versions > 4.2 is from a hardware point of view,
not from a Dom0 one.

Hope this helps, Roger.