Re: installing on a VPS

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 03:52:43PM -0400, Al Zick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really hope that there is someone who can help me. I want to install
> NetBSD on a rackspace VPS. I have NetBSD running on a VPS hosted by someone
> else, and they use a very different system for the install and I could mount
> a NetBSD ISO to do the install. This worked well. However, the install on
> rackspace is more of a problem. I would like to create an image of the
> running VPS with dd and ssh. Then I would like to put the rackspace VPS in
> recovery mode and once again use dd to install it on /dev/xvdb (which will
> be /dev/xvda after switching back from recovery mode).  They said on
> rackspace that I don't need a Xen kernel.
>
> I would like to use the NetBSD boot loader, but the current install of Linux
> uses grub. What boot loader should I be using?

it looks like this is a HVM guest then. You can't just dd the image of
your actual Xen VPS, that won't boot.

You can handle a HVM guest just as a bare-betal box.
You should be able to use what I did here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2015/09/20/msg016929.html

Maybe you need adjustements for the network setup.