Configuring domU filesystem image from dom0

Ok, this isn't strictly a Xen question, but it's something that probably
only Xen users ever need to do...

So, the HOWTO mentions that one can either run an INSTALL kernel in a
domU, or extract the sets into the domU root filesystem image from dom0
when setting it up. I want to do the latter, as I can also set up /etc
and (in theory) have a fully bootable and configured system ready to go
the first time the domU starts.

But: How does one do this in practice? I have created my nice LVM LV for
my domU root. I can newfs it and mount it as a filesystem, but of
course, the domU kernel sees it as an entire disk, and so expects a
disklabel.

But I can't seem to disklabel my LV from dom0. This is no surprise;
devices like /dev/wd0 have a range of minor numbers, one per disklabel
partition, while devices like /dev/mapper/vg0-vm2--root have but one
minor number; to represent the partitions, I presume dk(4) wedges would
need to come to the rescue.

However, the disklabel tool doesn't seem to let me modify the disklabel
on my LV; it just complains about inappropriate ioctls. I don't need it
to mess with the in-core disklabel used by conventional disk devices to
make all their different minor numbers point here and there; for an LV,
there isn't one, and I presume I'll need to do that manually with dk
wedges. But how do I get a disklabel written into the LV so that my domU
can see it and find its root partition on boot?

Or should I use the entire LV as a filesystem for dom0's sake, and then
somehow tell the domU to treat it as such? "root on xbd0d" or similar?

Thanks,

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym