Re: Dom0 starvs DomU

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

  I have a NetBSD/amd64 Xen Dom0 which hosts about ten Linux DomU
  instances and it (occasionally) does full pkgsrc rebuilds in the Dom0.
  If you're trying to do something very heavy in a DomU while (say)
  libreoffice source is extracting it bogs down, but otherwise it seems
  OK.

  This has switched from a very old pair of SATA disks in a RAIDframe
  RAID1 to a cheap Crucial SSD, and from netbsd-6 xen 4.1 through 4.2
  and now 4.5 on netbsd-7.

  The NetBSD filesystems are mounted -o log, in case that helps...

I have Samsung 843T "enterprise" SSD disks on all these systems.  I use
"log" as a mount option (via fstab).

My guest images are plain files created with dd.  They contain no
"holes".

For me, the guests are not just a little slow during a Dom0 compile,
they are useless.  It would be nice to find a solution to this problem.

I have been using many combinations of NetBSD releases (6.1 and 7.0
primarily) and Xen (4.2 and 4.5 primarily).

To me, it makes little sense why operations in Dom0 can have such
adverse effects on all guests, while operations in one DomU does not
noticably hurt another DomU.

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622